Lino cut on fineart paper A/P

 Title " The futility of knowing the spinning earth is hurtling  through space in a galaxy that is spinning and also moving and we are made up of mainly water - this makes me scream a primal scream. "





Lino cuts are well associated with secondary school in my mind , something childish and not for adults.

I have had some lino the soft type for cutting and linoleum cutter set and inks stored away  guess I was going to use it sometime or that was what I was thinking  when I purchased. 

So the first one I made was awful this is my second attempt , now must I list the interesting things about lino cuts , I guess they are a lot more tactile and slow the lino is physical and demands a certain type of line.  One must plan a cut or design and really stick to it .  

Ok so this image is pretty primitive I felt primitive making it believe me. There is an obvious influence and I have given it a kind of a long title, the mark making reminded me of rock art at the Neolithic site like Newgrange and Knowth on the Boyne valley.  What do the Neolithic markings mean ?


 Title " The futility of knowing the spinning earth is hurtling  through space in a galaxy that is spinning and also moving and we are made up of mainly water - this makes me scream a primal scream. " So I was influenced by Edvard Munch, The Scream,  and his quote "I felt a large scream pass through nature". This really resonates with me , and I tried to think of this or what could make me scream like this. I think  there are many moments in life we just cannot cope and want to scream but an intellectual dead end when I try comprehend existence and  the insignificance of humanity in the universe , just might make me scream like this.  

Unfortunately the image is not as interesting as the concept behind it and its influences more of an exercise in nostalgia.


                Paul Woods   





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paintings of Skulls by Paul Woods

Georgia Salpa in Listowel Mermaids Co. Kerry Ireland