Devil Mask Painting and design process



Here is another painting done on a little 10x8 canvas covered cardboard panel.  Acrylics are difficult to work with at the best of times compared to oils , which I do not use and have not for a long time , story to this to be told at a later date. This canvas panels are shiner than a stretched canvas less  texture or grip for paint. 


This image was first designed in a 3d application , modelled in polygons then subdivided , outputted to a raytracing program and rendered , I did not texture it as such kept he plastic shiny look , reminiscent of the early CG on the likes of Prodigy video Fire.  I have been using computers for graphics that long ever since I was a kid and rendering a term officially taken from painting has come full circle. Truly I see the benefits of pre visualisation  and lighting of my paintings in 3d software. This image looks mathematical and the light accurately depicts its volume. Something I personally could not do with out the use of computers or a life study.


Reminds me of the Japanese devil masks people ware in popular culture. 
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Paintings of Skulls by Paul Woods

Georgia Salpa in Listowel Mermaids Co. Kerry Ireland